Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What is that smell?

So as most of you know I am a teacher. Well the last couple days some of my kids have had some MAJOR flatulence issues, to the point of having to move some students away from the teacher's desk. If ya catch my drift (pun intended)

Anyhow, today I decided to pop into to one of the lunch periods and peruse the lunch scene.  We all know school lunches could be better. Just ask Jamie Oliver! But today I was mostly looking into the lunchboxes to see what parents were packing. Most lunch boxes were very similar: luchables, sandwiches (nothing wrong with healthy sandwiches) however most were processed meat or bologna (nitrates, yikes!), chips, and juice.















One lunch box, no joke, was a bologna sandwich, Doritos, a capri sun, and a ding dong! No wonder my room smells like a bathroom! This stuff is not real food! Their little bodies are trying to get it out, hence the smell in my room! Where are the fruits and veggies? How can kids even have a chance at getting their daily servings of REAL food if there isn't any present at a meal?

Now I am not saying I am perfect and I never  give any of this to my child because she does enjoy some chips and juice occasionally, but not on a daily basis in her lunch box. It just all makes me VERY sad because as a working parent who packs my child's lunch box daily, I do know how much convenience comes into play. Although in my experience fruit is very quick and convenient and most kids love it. I only saw 1 lunchbox with fruit in it today.

A lot of irresponsible companies are getting richer and richer at the expense of our kids' health. This makes me SO angry! This is why I wanna be a billionaire and start a company to educate parents/caregivers about how to feed our kids and reforming school lunch! Oh, the Places I Could Go! Right Dr. Seuss?

This whole topic just really gets me going!

Check out some great healthy lunch ideas @ easylunchboxes.com

Do you worry about what your child's school is serving? Do you pack them a lunch? I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!

Smell ya'll later!
~A

No comments:

Post a Comment