Saturday, April 3, 2010

Off the Treadmill & Hittin' the Pavement

The weather has been so nice and I know that it is essential that I get outside and train because after all the race will be outside! On the treadmill I have worked my way up to 6 miles at this point. I feel "safe" on the treamill. If I need a drink, it's right there in front of me, and I also have my vision board right in front of me to focus on.

On Thursday, it was beautiful out and and Matt needed to run too, so we put Sophia into the jogger and set out on our way! After a mile and a half I was done! I had nothing left! WHAT? I was crushed! Holy cow, I am in big trouble! After figuring up our milage and the time it took us, I realized that not only was the run different because of the elements i.e. pavement, temperature. I was also running Matt's pace which is SO NOT my pace! I used to be able to hang with my man on our runs, but that was pre-baby when I was in much better shape! (I know, she's 3...cut me some slack)

So today, on my own, I set out for my first outdoor long run. I did it! I ran 6 miles outside! I kept my water and Gatorade at the end of the driveway and got drinks as I came by after my 2 mile loops. Right now, that is the hardest thing for me. I get so thirsty. It rained today, so there were puddles everywhere as I ran. On my last half mile I passed a huge puddle and all I could think in my head was, "I love water, I love water, I love water!" This week I am really going to focus on making sure that my body is well hydrated before I go out for my run, and also REALLY pushing my speed on my interval days.

I have 5 weeks to go before the big day. The nerves are already starting to set in. Matt says this is the time that it truly becomes spiritual. I agree, it's funny how in the past I have always needed to rock out on my ipod to get through a run and this time it's different. Today, I spent the first 4 miles listening to Christian music to calm my mind and to remind myself why I am doing this in the first place. On the back stretch of my loop, I can actually see Tyler's grave! I didn't realize this until I was on my run, WOW! Yes, I can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment